2008-04-27

php5 makes php bearable

Just to show what an amazingly open mind I have, I just wanted to add that after moving to php5 and trying to be as object-oriented as I can, I have started to find that programming in php can be less painful than I originally thought.

I am starting to get used to some of the overall quirkiness of the language. I even forgive it for having so ding many functions, since Common Lisp has quite a few as well.

Overall, I find that there is a lack of coherence in the way the function are implemented. I still have to look everything up all the time, but that is probably just me. However I expect a function to work, php usually does the opposite. But hey, they wrote the language, so they can do what they want. More substantially, I find completely counterintuitive and backwards the way that you pass functions as string arguments. At least in Perl, even though all arguments are passed as values, you are passing a reference, not just a string name. It just feels wrong, I'm telling you! I'd be willing to make function objects and pass them instead, but you still would have to feed those objects with strings naming functions... so back to square zero.

No comments: